Did you know that the saint this holiday is named for was beheaded by Claudius II?
Now that’s romance!
Seriously, though, there’s plenty to do as a couple on Valentine’s Day. The Catholicland Blog has a good list of stuff you can do with your loved one on Valentine’s Day that is more than a romantic evening by the blizzard.
1. Donate blood at your local Red Cross.
2. Take yourself to the doctor to check the health of your heart.
3. Distribute valentines to people not expecting it: the gas attendant, the lunch lady, or the flight attendant. Acknowledge the people who serve you on a daily basis.
4. Take your best friend to dinner instead of complaining about being single.
5. Visit a nursing home; bring roses.
6. Bring cookies to a soup kitchen.
7. Pray an hour before the Blessed Sacrament and tell God how much you love Him.
I strongly suggest #1, as blood supplies are very low. Anyone with O positive or O negative blood type, you’re in great need. I’m getting over a cold, but I’ll be donating at the end of this month. What better way to show your love than to lie on two tables, hold hands, and give blood to those in need?